Write 1-2 paragraphs reflecting on ways of knowing and the use of metaparadigm in the NP role. Then save the reflection as a Word Document for submission later in the course. In week 8, you will submit all reflections as a single document.
This reflection is worth 5 points and the final reflection document in week 8 is worth 15 points.
You will need to post your reflection here before you are able to see other students’ posts.
- Provide one specific example of how you achieved the weekly objectives.
- What do you value most about your learning this week?
- What else about the weekly topics do you need to explore to further grow as a future NP?
During this week we reviewed Carper’s theory of ways of knowing, and reflective thinking and writing. Carper’s theory encompasses four specifics patterns of knowing: Personal, Empirical, Aesthetic, and Ethical. Carper’s theory integrates source of knowledge with art and science in nursing. It is one of the classification systems of nursing knowledge. As mentioned in the lecture it can be summarized as follows.
- Personal Knowing: refers to the knowledge we have of ourselves and what we have seen and experienced. This type of knowledge comes to us through the process of observation, reflection, and self-actualization.
- Empirical Knowing: We gain empirical knowledge from research and objective facts. This knowledge is systematically organized into general laws and theories.
Ethical Knowing: helps one develop our own moral code; our sense of knowing….Kindly click the purchase icon to purchase the full solution at $5