Ageism and gender bias can affect to whom and how we ask about sexual health, sexual activity, and concerning symptoms. Depending on your own level of comfort and cultural norms this can be a tough conversation for some providers but this is an important topic. As this week’s required NAMS videos discussed, women are wanting us to ask about sexual concerns. This week we also reviewed sexually transmitted diseases and the effects of ageism on the time to diagnosis so it is necessary to ask these questions and provide good education for all patients. You will not know any needs unless you ask.
- Review the required NAMS videos. What was the most surprising statement or topic that you heard in the videos? Explain why this was surprising to you.
- What is GSM? What body systems are involved? How does GSM affect a woman’s quality of life?
- Review one aspect of treatment that Dr Shapiro recommends for GSM and include an EBP journal article or guideline recommendation in addition to referencing the video in your response.
Sexuality and the older adult
- What is your level of comfort in taking a complete sexual history? Is this comfort level different for male or female patients? If so, why?
- How will this week’s information impact the way you will interact with your mature and elderly clients in the future?
The most surprising, but also the most disappointing, information from the videos is how often women are not asked about their sexual health at well visits, when this should be a standard question. The first video estimated that approximately 1 in 10, or 10% of women are missing being diagnosed with various sexual dysfunctions due to simply not being asked the appropriate questions by their providers (North American Menopause Society Video, 2017). Although it would be wonderful for women to feel more comfortable discussing sexual dysfunction including vaginal dryness, pain, low libido, etc., the reality is that women are hesitant to mention it to their providers, and often do not even feel like it is considered an actual medical problem at all (North American Menopause Society Video, 2017)….Kindly click the purchase icon to purchase the full solution at $5