In today’s current healthcare settings, the increasing diversity, globalization, and expanding technologies produce complex ethical pressures that influence nursing practice and practice outcomes. To be effective in a master’s-prepared advanced nurse practice role it is important to understand personal values, beliefs, strengths, and limitations. The purpose of this assessment is to promote introspective reflection related to implicit and/or explicit personal biases. Students will develop a plan to reduce bias and promote personal and professional growth.
Criteria for Content
Complete a self-inventory on personal biases you hold. The biases might be implicit or explicit.
- In a one to two-page summary, address the following.
- Identify your selected specialty track (education, executive, family nurse practitioner, healthcare policy, or nursing informatics).
- Discuss how biases can impact outcomes in selected nursing practice settings.
- Identify personal biases and attitudes toward people with various cultural, gender, sexual orientation, age, weight, and religions that are different than your own.
- Select one bias that you have.
- Develop one strategy to reduce this bias.
This paper will discuss bias and how biases influence interactions and affect outcomes. Nursing has always envisioned itself on the side of tolerance, inclusiveness, and respect for the rights of all persons (Drevdahl, Kniepp, Canales, & Dorcy, 2001). However, biased tendencies can influence how we relate to each other or to a particular group of people. Biases also determine how we receive information, advice, and criticism from other individuals. The implicit bias from the color of an individual’s skin may influence one’s decision on different levels. For example, criminal sentencing, a political vote or even a soul mate. Biases contribute to racial and ethnic disparities in lower income communities’ and in healthcare.
Discussion of Bias
I am enrolled in the Nurse Executive Specialty Track program. Bias can influence and affect outcomes in my specialty area of professional practice by discriminating based on gender, age, weight or ethnicity. Any one of these characteristics can play a role in the decision making process of whether to hire, promote or fire an employee in the workplace….Kindly click the purchase icon to purchase the full solution at $10